NHS Logo
As One Logo

What happens after a diagnosis

What is Post Diagnostic Support

If a diagnosis of dementia is made and explained to you at the EMDASS assessment we will offer you Post Diagnostic Support (PDS). PDS aims to provide you with information and signposting, and support with some other things.

When will PDS start

The first professional to contact you will normally a Dementia Advisor (DA) or Dementia Support Worker (DSW). They will talk to you about your diagnosis and reflect on how things have been since you received that diagnosis. They will talk to you about local services and resources that you could access, as well as things that our team can support you with (more detail below under things that PDS will offer). They will leave an information folder with you to keep. The DA or DSW will contact you again after a period of time to see how you are, and to check whether you would like anything. If you decide that you would not like any further support, then this may be the only professional that you see in PDS.

Things that PDS may offer

Social Care Assessment
Some people may require an assessment of their social care needs. This could be support with personal care for example. This assessment would be completed a Community Care Officer, who will sometimes work within EMDASS, but will sometimes require a referral to Hertfordshire County Council’s Adult Care services.

Carers Assessment and Contingency Plan
A carers assessment is an assessment for your carer (who may be a relative), and will be completed by a Community Care Officer. They will ask your carer things about their life, and how supporting and caring for you impacts on their life. They will also offer a Care Contingency Plan. This helps to identify what would happen to you if your carer wasn’t available.

Advanced Care Plan
An Advanced Care Plan (ACP) is a plan that is made now for you to save for later. It allows you to identify your likes, dislikes, preferences and how you would like to be cared for should you not be able to tell the person who is looking after you.

Occupational Therapy
An Occupational Therapist is a professional whose aim is to promote independence and wellbeing. Their assessment will help to identify your strengths, and you could make the best use of them. It may also identify adaptations or equipment that could help you to remain independent, for example assistive technology.

Speech and Language Therapy
A speech and language therapist is a professional who can support you with communication difficulties, and provide advice on how to overcome or manage these.

PDS may provide a link to groups outside of EMDASS, for example Memory Intervention Group, Cognitive Stimulation Therapy.

Contact Us